Detailed overview:
Benediktinerstift Admont - Naturhistorisches Museum
Title: Benediktinerstift Admont - Naturhistorisches Museum
Title alternative: Monastery of Admont - Library & Museum
Publisher: Benediktinerstift Admont / Naturhistorisches Museum
Abstract: The Naturhistorische Museum - Natural History Museum - was set up again after the devastating fire of 1865 by the Admont Benedictine Father Gabriel Strobl in the years 1866 to 1910. In his scientific activity Father Gabriel Strobl built up a huge insect collection with roughly 252,000 specimens, with the collection of about 80,000 flies being one of the three most important in Europe. Through his own collecting, exchange, buying and in the form of gifts Father Gabriel Strobl acquired over 44 years the collection that can be admired in the partly newly planned Natural History Museum. A glass-case ribbon stretches for about 24 metres and shows in texts, pictures and exhibits the historical development of the Natural History Museum. The first side room is dedicated to Father Gabriel Strobl’s life work. His scientific and artistic work is described in a large table glass-case, while an exhibition of various insect groups can be seen on the walls. The second side room presents all 243 examples of the wax fruits made by Father Constantin Keller (1778-1864) in an impressive installation. [Information of the supplier, translated]
Table of contents: History / Present time / Adventure museum / Dipterist Milan Chvala / Father Gabriel Strobl
Subject: Museums, collections, exhibits (570.74);
Insecta (Insects) (595.7);
Natural history (508)
» find similar sources!
Audience: Beginner; Intermediate; Experts
Language: English; German
Format: website
Resource type: Museums and Collections;
Personal websites / biographies;
Discipline based websites
Access: free
Metadata update date: 2012-02-24
Metadata provider: SDEI
URL of this vifabio-resource:
© Virtuelle Fachbibliothek Biologie (vifabio)
 Print window Close window